jueves, 3 de noviembre de 2011

Olga - A Daughter's Tale by Marie Campbell

Olga - A Daughter's Tale by Marie Campbell

Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
I have always believed that family history should be recorded, and Ms. Campbell has reported on her mother's life in a very unique fashion: Through recollection of letters and diaries.
As the story originates in England but develops in Jamaica with a return to England, I was enthralled by the sociological descriptions that made me smile. In my country, Panama, there is a large black population which follows, even today, the same dynamics described by the author -- racial perfection is determined by whiteness, straighter hair and not necessary by wealth or education.
I also appreciated that this book was not written following the current "political correctness" in writing or speech. This added an important flavor of sincerity.
As the diaries seemed to have been transcribed, I do not know if the work merits some re-editing for punctuation, especially misplaced commas and substitution by semi-colons. Curiously, my mind fixed them as I read on. The story was compelling.
This book should be included in readings for sociology students.

No hay comentarios: