miércoles, 8 de agosto de 2012

Review of The Blackmail Club by David Bishop

The Blackmail Club by David Bishop

Review by Alex Canton-Dutari
My first pleasure line was learning the origins of the expression blarney . I appreciate receiving lessons in word history. To this I should add the Irish brogue one of the characters used.
Author Bishop is really an expert at choosing his themes, and this one was worded perfectly in narration and dialogue. Let's include descriptions such as "…she had a body that made clothes come alive." Or "…with jowls drooping as if her mouth were serving quarters…"
I like to look for possible messages hidden between the lines. The story seems to convey the notion that social sins, especially of youth and greed will turn into heavy burdens in later life.
Along the narration one of the characters referred to a psychiatrist as a "quack." It was a stroke of genious to have written his name followed by "Doctor of Psychiatry." This degree does not exist; a psychiatrist is an MD with a certification of residency in Psychiatry. Hence, the term "quack" was well sustained.
It was a most entertaining read.

Interview
1- When did you start writing, formally?
That was in the early 80s. I owned and operated a company that did valuations of privately owned companies, or partial interests therein, and also intangible assets. One of my marketing efforts from the early 90s to the early 2000s was to write technical financial articles on valuation of business interests and intangible assets for accounting/financial/legal journals. I had one published each quarter for that ten year period. Then in 2001, along with a fellow business valuation expert, we published a nonfiction book on valuing privately owned company for merging with or acquisition by a publicly traded company. Then in 2002 I started writing fiction exclusively.
2- Do you have any artistic talents?
Well, when I was a child I played on the linoleum. LOL. No. None. I want to learn to play the piano but can't find the time. Is a golf game "artistic?" Certainly not the way I play it.
3- Do you have a favourite theme?I'm not sure how specific or broad that question is. I love golf, try to play twice a week, sometimes it's only once. I work out three times a week. I love to road travel and ocean cruise. And, of course, I totally love to write mysteries. And hear from readers.
I hope this answered this question.
I appreciate your interest in me and my writing. Thank you.

No hay comentarios: