domingo, 31 de marzo de 2013

The Starlings of Chatham Road by Doreen McNicol ( A Review)

The Starlings of Chatham Street by Doreen McNicol
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
The title attracted me immediately, and I was pleased to discover that it includes a metaphor, of which I am quite fond.
This novel set me on a path from London to New South Wales a couple of centuries ago through a very realistic plot that kept me glued to the book, which was made comfortable due to lifelike characters and situations. In fact, at some point I even had Oliver Twist -- an all female version -- come into my mind.
The story development took me into the life of Old England's government sponsored charitable institutions known as workhouses. In modern days they are referred to as sweat shops -- in some countries -- and are not government sponsored.
I enjoyed this easy-to-read story, and look forward to a sequel with the New South Wales as its location.


No hay comentarios: