martes, 29 de octubre de 2013

In the Land of the Long White Cloud (Review)

The Land of the White Cloud by Sarah Lark
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
I read this book in Kindle's version in Spanish, but I think it merits a review in English as well.
I read the book because of my interest in the colonization of New Zealand, and it did give me an overall view of the difference from the colonization of Australia -- delinquents vs. adventurers. The dispute about land rights between Maories and mainly British was an interesting issue, as both were colonialists -- Hawaiki and UK. Much time was allotted to various love stories between unlikely characters and disastrous endings -- strong spirited women and almost stereotyped misogynist men with dubious sexual orientation.
Ms Lark writes originally in German. The Spanish translation was not the best. I hope the English version came out better.
Nevertheless, this long novel -- a saga as it has a sequel -- is interesting if you have the time and flexible frame of mind.

No hay comentarios: