miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2013

Nuns : A Memoir (Review)

Nuns: A Memoir by Bernard Mendillo
Review by Alex Canton-Dutari
Though I was not educated by nuns, Jesuits were in charge of making sure my morals went along the Catholic paths, many of which started pouring through as I read this personal account of the author's years in grade school.
It is unusual to find a story which exposes wrongs that make a person re-evaluate beliefs and take pertinent actions such as leaving the Church; instead, it does not send a message of revenge but of understanding.
The author is able to compose wonderful graphic sentences: "...Electrons flock to pure gold like Jesuits to a good stake burning." 
I felt a bit embarrassed by the mention of "Noriega madness." Of course, this stems from my being from the former dictator's country, Panama.
Oh, yes. I still cry out "St. Blaise!" whenever I get something stuck in my throat.
This is a serious book written with a good undercurrent of humour in plain good English.

No hay comentarios: