jueves, 5 de diciembre de 2013

The Bastard Child by Sean P. Hoggs (Review)

The Bastard Child by Sean P. Sean Hoggs
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari

I usually react negatively when a book starts with a foreword/review of the book. Especially when I feel that the idea is to make up for weakness in content. But, the title and the cover photo drew me in.
When I reached the last page -- I could not stop once I started -- I needed to rest. It was a bumpy ride, including a few expressions that I attributed to transcultural peculiarities -- could of rather than could have, moms versus mom's, barley and not barely, and a few others. I was left with the feeling that I had read a testimony of how wretched a life can be, but that a ray of light may shine through.
As a former clinical psychologist I can attest that child abuse leaves such scars that most of the times the victim is rendered incapable of recovery, either physical or emotional. Though these signs remain, in this autobiography the message is clear: Once responsibility is assumed hope and actual life success is possible.
In closing, I have always believed that change is produced from one generation to another. Hoggs proved this by making sure that his next generation would produce no bastard children. A wonderful lesson.

No hay comentarios: